Ga naar inhoud

verbeter wireless signaal op Titanium Mac

Aanbevolen berichten

Peter,

ik heb daar de meest relevante informatie even uitgehaald en ik ga dit vanavond onderzoeken en zal zeker mijn bevindingen hierover posten.

1 -----------------------------------------

UPDATE: following a call to Apple

I'm sitting out by my pool. I'm in my jammies with no socks on my feet. It's dark, and it's cold out here, but I'll do almost anything to prove a point about one of my Macs while I'm still excited about it, so BRRRRR!!!

Making this quick, I just got off the phone with Apple tech support. I called to ask if there's anything I can do to improve my Ti's Airport range. After some questions about distance and interference like microwaves, cordless phones, and walls, the tech told me to shut down my powerbook and flip it over.

I was next instructed to eject the battery and look at the right side wall of the battery compartment where I was supposed to find an approximately 5 cm long plastic strip. (My particular powerbook doesn't have this visible -- instead, there is a plate with the serial number, etc...) Still, he told me to firmly press the side wall of the powerbook against the frame, just slowly and firmly pressing along its length several times for about 10 seconds. Next, he told me to replace the battery and start her back up.

I can't believe it, but my Airport's range is now like my iBook's!! I never could have done this from out here by the pool before, but here I am.

The reason for this as he explained it is, where I was told to press is where the antenna runs alongside the framework of the Powerbook. Sometimes it isn't situated just right, or gets out of whack from having been shipped or something. Pressing it puts it back into proper contact with whatever needs to be touching. Now it works like a dream!

Maybe this will work for you, too, Kosmo.

2 -----------------------------------------

first of all, this takes a little bit of work. neither i, nor anyone else on this board or anywhere in the world is responsible for anything that goes wrong if you try this.

i too was having problems with my tibook's reception. i have a 15" flat panel imac that i use as a base station with my 667 MHz tibook, but i couldn't go from my bedroom to the living room with the tibook and still get a signal. here's what i did, and it helped dramatically.

what you're going to do is reposition one side of the airport antenna so it actually are lines up with the little plastic window.

remove the battery and the bottom cover. there are eight size T-8 Torx screws holding the case together.

take out the optical drive. there should be 1 flex cable to disconnect (the one on the right, above the optical drive. the drive should then snap out. you now have access to one of the antennas.

push the window from the exterior of the case to pop the board out. be very careful and make sure you don't break the green printed circuit board. when you have the board out, pry the plastic peice off of it. you will see a small, round hole (a via). i believe this is actually the antenna. if you place the green pcb back in the position it was originally in, you can see that the via does not line up correctly with the window.

file the pcb down slightly on both ends(where the board makes contact with small tabs on the sides of the case). this will have the effect of lowering the via so that it is not obstructed by the case.

press the plastic part back onto the pcb. there should be enough epoxy on the board so that it sticks. don't put the plastic part back in the same place this time. instead, line up the via with the part that sticks out the window. that way the via will not be obstructed by the case.

put the optical drive back in and connect the flex cable.

the other side is a bit trickier. everything is just glued in, but the pcb is about twice as long. i didn't actually perform the fix over there, because i was afraid i'd break the pcb while trying to pry it loose. it seems to be stuck on pretty well. i imagine you could do the same thing though.

in any case, modifying one side of the antenna worked pretty well. i can now go out to my living room and get 3 bars of reception.

again, neither i, nor apple, nor macnet, nor anyone but you is responsible if you break something. and i'm pretty sure this would void your warranty, so think about it before you do this.

if anyone tries this, let me know if it works for you.

Link naar reactie

Ik blijf nog even met mijn plastieken Pismootje werken - ben nog even op een vervangings-iMac aan het wachten, en dan gaat mijn boekje richting US om een G4 upgrade geinstalleerd te krijgen.

Het is eigenlijk onvoorstelbaar dat een notebook van 4000 € met een "factory installed" draadloze netwerkkaart zo'n slechte ontvangst heeft. Apple mag zich hierover wel een beetje schamen.

Link naar reactie

Volledig off-filemaker-topic, maar wel interessant ! Ik heb mijn ibook (samen met den Danny) es opengesmeten en een externe antenne toegevoegd.

aiport1.JPG

Op die manier, en als alles weer netjes dicht is, kan je via de N-Connector een externe antenne aankoppelen (dit kabeltje heet een PIGTAIL en kan je oa kopen op ebay... Ik heb er een antenne van 15 DB aangehangen en en ik kan toch wel zeggen dat de ontvangst x3 is binnenshuis... In mijn geval is het zelfs een richtantenne en in principe (in line of sight) zou het tot 15 KM ver moeten gaan !!

Link naar reactie

nog enkele heel interessante DOE-HET-ZELF antenne links :

http://www.turnpoint.net/wireless/cantennahowto.html

http://www.vonwentzel.net/ABS/SnowExtended/index.html

http://www.wwc.edu/%7Efrohro/Airport/Airport.html

http://www.macstumbler.com

http://www.wardriving.com

Vooral deze laatste 2 urls zijn interessant... We moeten es een Clarify-wardriving-confituur-sessie doen met een gehuurd busje ofzo.... :-)

Voor meer links contacteer je mij maar effe direct ! 'k Heb er nog tientallen...

WarLivio

Link naar reactie

Dat ziet er goed uit. Ik ga eens zien of ik mij TiBook ook zo'n richt antenne kan geven. Die afstand van 15km lijkt me wel wat.

Ik heb ook het artikel van Apple gelezen, dat Danny aanreikt. Wat daar in staat wist ik proef ondervindelijk al, Dus, Apple, daar worden we niet wijzer van.

Als ik iets heb geknutseld zal ik het tonen. Hoe krijg ik een foto op het forum ?

Link naar reactie

Het vaststellen van een WAP (Wireless Access Point) is toch geen misdaad zeker ?

Om het met anderen hun woorden te zeggen :

What is the WorldWide WarDrive?

The WorldWide WarDrive is an effort by security professionals and hobbyists to generate awareness of the need by individual users and companies to secure their access points. The goal of the WorldWide WarDrive (or WWWD) is to provide a statistical analysis of the many access points that are currently deployed.

Meer info : http://www.wardrivingisnotacrime.com

Link naar reactie

Beste Livio,

Ver van mij de gedachte op enigerlei wijze betuttelend te willen zijn. Wel denk ik dat het goed is dat we allen op de hoogte zijn en blijven van wat reilt en zeilt in computerland. Daar hoort dit onderwerp dus ook bij.

Nu terzake, over die WAP. Ik dacht dat daar in De Standaard een tijdje geleden een artikeltje over gestaan had, maar ik heb het niet direct bij de hand. In afwachting daarom iets analoogs: ook maandag 28/10 stond er een artikel in van ene Patrick Vaneecke, e-business advokaat bij Bogaert & Vandemeulebroecke en tevens onderzoeker op het ICRI (KU Leuven) i.v.m. een op handen zijnde Koninklijk Besluit n.a.v. een nieuwe wet die "goed bedoeld maar technisch weinig onderbouwd" zou zijn, en die - volgens de auteur - best afgevoerd zou worden nog voor ze het stadium van het K.B. bereikt: deze wet verbiedt nl. het anoniem surfen, het anoniem versturen en ontvangen van e-mail en nog wat van die dingen. Ter vergelijking: een normale manier van rijden op Duitse snelwegen kost je hier je rijbewijs en een bom geld... Wat je eigen opinie over zo'n wet is, valt natuurlijk in het niet t.o.v. de rechtsmiddelen die een zich benadeeld voelende partij kan doen gelden...

Link naar reactie

Doe mee aan dit gesprek

Je kunt dit nu plaatsen en later registreren. Indien je reeds een account hebt, log dan nu in om het bericht te plaatsen met je account.

Gast
Antwoord op deze discussie...

×   Geplakt als verrijkte tekst.   Plak in plaats daarvan als platte tekst

Er zijn maximaal 75 emoji toegestaan.

×   Je link werd automatisch ingevoegd.   Tonen als normale link

×   Je vorige inhoud werd hersteld.   Leeg de tekstverwerker

×   Je kunt afbeeldingen niet direct plakken. Upload of voeg afbeeldingen vanaf een URL in

• Nieuwe aanmaken...